Financing Your Degree


MHA@GW students are charged tuition on a per-credit-hour basis, and the rate of tuition for the 2018-2019 academic year is $1,710 per credit. You must complete 50 credits to earn your Master of Health Administration, totaling $85,500 at current tuition rates. Please keep in mind that this is only an estimate, as GW tuition rates are re-evaluated each year. Visit GW's graduate tuition page to download the Milken Institute School of Public Health's list of associated fees and tuition information.

As MHA@GW maintains the same standards, rigor and quality of a top on-campus MHA program, tuition rates are also comparable; however, there are a number of options available to help students fund their degree. We encourage you to explore the options below and to contact us should you have any questions.  Our financial aid staff is available at or by phone at 202-994-4075. Or, schedule a time to chat with Mark Justice, associate director of financial aid at the George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health.

Scholarships for MHA Students

MHA@GW awards both merit-based scholarships and partner organization benefits to outstanding students whose professional and academic achievements set them apart as leaders in the health administration field.

The Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is proud to support aspiring public health leaders by offering a number of merit-based scholarships.

Contact an Admissions Counselor by calling 1-855-642-2849 or via email if you believe you are eligible for one or more of these scholarship opportunities.

Loan Funding

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans: Students are potentially eligible to borrow up to $35,778 in Direct Unsubsidized Loans per 11-month academic year, regardless of personal or spousal income.
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan: Graduate students who have borrowed the maximum unsubsidized loan amount available to them may be eligible to borrow additional loan funds through the Graduate PLUS Loan. Approval for Graduate PLUS Loan funding is based in part on the credit of the borrower.
  • Loan Repayment for Federal Direct Loans:  There are currently numerous repayment options that may be available to borrowers of Federal Direct Loan funds including options based on borrower income and Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
  • Private Alternative Loans: Private Alternative Loan Funds are processed by private lending institutions.  Students who plan to borrow a Private Alternative Loan are advised to research different lenders and products to find the loan that best suits their needs. 

Applying for Loan Funding

If you intend to apply for federal or private loan funding you should begin the process as early as possible to allow adequate time for processing. Students can take these initial steps to begin:

  1. For Federal Student Loans you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ). GW’s school code is 001444.  The 17/18 aid year FAFSA is used for the Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018 terms for the MPH@GW program.
  2. Visit the How To Apply section of the GW Office of Student Financial Assistance Website for information on additional requirements.
  3. Once admitted, monitor your GWEB and GW email for processing updates.

Financial Aid for International Students

While international applicants will be considered for institutionally funded scholarships eligibility for federal student aid is limited to U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and eligible non-citizens who are currently living within the United States for purposes other than studying. International students should explore funding options in their home countries and talk with their employers about tuition benefits that may be available, including tuition reimbursement and low-cost loans. Based on the country of residence, some international students may also have access to education loans through private lenders. 

Please note that international students in online degree programs are not eligible to participate in the U.S. Student Visa process.